Problems between SSB and standard CB?

This forum is for general discussions, and you are welcome to post in this forum if you are not able to find the right place.
Radionewb
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Problems between SSB and standard CB?

Post by Radionewb »

Hey folks,

I live up in Alaska and run the Dalton Highway quite a bit during the winter. CB use, while declining-like everywhere else, is still pretty essential up here on remote roads especially for warning others of dangerous road conditions.

I have been getting radios set up in my vehicles and have run into a SSB question. I get that it allows greater range if you and your contact are on the same channel, but does the increased tune-ability off the standard “40” channels cause issues with communication between a SSB CB and say a basic cb radio?

I am setting them all up with Wilson 5000 series magnetic based antennas with 62” whips.

Besides being able to tune in to a “side band” and reach out farther to others, (assuming they have a SSB radio as well…)are there any real benefits or downsides to putting a single side band unit in my truck?

Side note, up here aviation radio use is pretty prevalent as well, so I keep looking at icom vehicle mounted aviation radios… these hobbies escalate quickly…

Thanks for any input y’all may have.
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck

Post by 443 Arizona »

i find SSB to be quieter as far as static goes, clearer because its the modulation that makes it, and if you only want to talk to your same group then yes its better.
and no it wont interfere unless your next to one, then its just bleedover , same with AM thou. unless there is higher wattage involved, then the problems start.
a drawback is, not everyone has an ssb radio and/or can be off freq. and you have to constantly tune them in.
ssb will give you long range but your cab noise, ant. deflection, giggling and being un-able to fine tune while driving is another drawback.
i like simple AM operation while driving.
Verified
Owner
Owner

Post by »

@443 Arizona Here are some of the benefits and downsides of putting a single sideband unit (SSB) in your truck:

Benefits
  • SSB radios can transmit and receive over a wider range of frequencies than regular CB radios. This means that you can communicate with people who are further away.
  • SSB radios are more efficient than regular CB radios. This means that you can get more distance out of your battery.
  • SSB radios are generally more reliable than regular CB radios. This is because they are less susceptible to interference from other electronic devices.
Downsides
  • SSB radios are more expensive than regular CB radios.
  • SSB radios are more difficult to operate than regular CB radios.
  • SSB radios require a license to operate in some countries.
Overall, SSB radios offer a number of benefits over regular CB radios. However, they are also more expensive and difficult to operate. If you are looking for a radio that can transmit and receive over a wider range of frequencies, then an SSB radio is a good option. However, if you are looking for a radio that is easy to operate and affordable, then a regular CB radio may be a better choice.

Here are some additional things to consider when deciding whether or not to install an SSB unit in your truck:
  • Your budget: SSB units can be expensive, so it is important to factor in the cost when making your decision.
  • Your needs: If you need a radio that can transmit and receive over a wide range of frequencies, then an SSB unit is a good option. However, if you only need a radio for local communication, then a regular CB radio may be sufficient.
  • Your skill level: SSB units can be more difficult to operate than regular CB radios. If you are not comfortable with electronics, then you may want to consider a regular CB radio.
Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to install an SSB unit in your truck is up to you. Weigh the benefits and drawbacks carefully and decide what is best for your needs.

Donate here

jessejamesdallas
Verified
Donor
Donor

Post by jessejamesdallas »

IMO...(that, and a dollar might buy you a cup of coffee)

SSB radios are more suited for Base use vs. mobile use...

They "can" get you more range with less power, but the fine tuning envolved makes them as much of a distraction while driving as Texting and driving...

Want more range out of your AM CB radio?....Buy a amplifier...something as small as a 200 watt amp. will make a huge difference in range. :icon_thumright:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
TNT1450
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by TNT1450 »

The thing is that unless others on the roads also have an SSB CB, they're not going to be able to understand what you're saying if you're transmitting in SSB. It'll just sound like "Donald Duck" to them. And most people don't know what SSB is, or the difference between AM & SSB. That being said, having an SSB radio is good for shooting skip if you want to do that while driving, or if you have friends who all use SSB and hang out on an SSB channel. But you can still use your AM/SSB radio on AM as well.
Swanman
Donor
Donor

Post by Swanman »

The reason for the extended range is due to SSB operation. In AM transmissions, all the power is used to transmit a carrier wave, which is then modulated by injecting a signal (your voice) on that carrier wave.

In SSB the carrier is suppressed and all of the transmit power is used to send the voice part of your signal and not eaten up by the AM carrier. That's why SSB sounds like Donald Duck an AM CB radio. Example, if your radio is legal and you are running AM with 4 watts of ERP, Effective Radiated Power, then when switching to SSB and the AM carrier wave is suppressed, your ERP is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-12 watts due to it being a different wave form.