Not just at a keydown....

This section is dedicated to Keydown Competition rigs and high-performance competition base setups. If you have questions or information on how to maximize a competition setup, this is the perfect place to share and discuss!
J-570

Not just at a keydown....

Post by J-570 »

Competition setups aren't just used for keydowns, many people run more extreme setups just to battle it out locally then you think. For instance many people around here are running their mobile setups at 14-16 volts just for every day talking. It doesn't have to be in a Suburban or a full size van, it could be that guy in the 2003 Ford Focus hatch back with the dual alternator setup and the M-80 driving the straight 6.... or the everyday driver SUV with a 2x8 in the back.

Around here anyway, every day is a key down from the time you get in your ride to the time you get out of it. Local truck drivers like myself are running 1x4's, 2x4's 2x6's and even 2x8's in our big trucks at 14-16 volts. It's all about how much power you push through your antenna, nobody cares about S-Units when you're main objective is to be the only one heard for 10-15 miles.

Some may say that is immature or selfish ect, but that is the hobby for most people at least where I live. If you want to just relax and talk to some folks, you do it on an out of the way channel but channel 19 is the place to lock it down. That is where all the mud ducks are, running their mouths and crying because you've been on the key for the last 10 minutes and they didn't bother to look at their map or call their shipper/receiver for directions.

It's a battlefield out there...who's side are you on?
PRO151

Post by PRO151 »

"It's a battlefield out there...who's side are you on?"

MINE! and MINE ALONE!

Should we ever meet on the airwaves Sir J-570, I shall fire up my gizmothingamajig, put maximum power to it and vanquish you from the airwaves once and for all! :lol:
J-570

Post by J-570 »

I welcome your challenge Pro151, just be sure to be a good sport after me and diesel battlemobile get down.... :lol:
PRO151

Post by PRO151 »

Oh Crap! That did not work out the way I had it planned. You were supposed to bow down to my brave threat and beg forgiveness. Now you have accepted the challenge and called my bluff. :shock: With a maximum output of 230 watts from N.E Alabama, I will have to slink away in disgrace. :D
J-570

Post by J-570 »

Well there Pro151, hopefully after some time this section will provide you with the resources you need to be a formidable opponent. I think there is enough people here with the knowledge to get most people to a decent level of throw down knowledge.
Crusher
Donor
Donor

Post by Crusher »

I get mobiles round here that will travel 30-60 miles away just to get way up on a hilltop somewhere. especially if a base and a mobile are fighting. A guy that has a mobile beam set up way up on a hill running less power has whipped several base stations using high power output.
J-570

Post by J-570 »

Crusher wrote:I get mobiles round here that will travel 30-60 miles away just to get way up on a hilltop somewhere. especially if a base and a mobile are fighting. A guy that has a mobile beam set up way up on a hill running less power has whipped several base stations using high power output.
A friend of mine does this.... drives up a mountian to 3200 feet, set's up a davemade 2 element beam on a hitch mount we made and keys his 3x8 through it.
Rex_foxhound

Post by Rex_foxhound »

height is might as they say.
ive been guilty of going up on some hills around here and talking to guys 60-70 miles away. just ask distortion69 about that. :)
Crusher
Donor
Donor

Post by Crusher »

Up on a hill, that works really well when DX is rollin. best way to put all the other locals on hold. You can dominate in your area.
Phaze91460

Post by Phaze91460 »

Hey Rex, One good place to make a stand is up on Spaghetti Junction on the 285 to 85N in bumper to bumper rush hour. At the top of that bridge you are higher than anything in Atlanta but the Stone Mountain. I have flattened many an ear from up there.
crazytruker

Post by crazytruker »

J-570 wrote:
Crusher wrote:I get mobiles round here that will travel 30-60 miles away just to get way up on a hilltop somewhere. especially if a base and a mobile are fighting. A guy that has a mobile beam set up way up on a hill running less power has whipped several base stations using high power output.
A friend of mine does this.... drives up a mountian to 3200 feet, set's up a davemade 2 element beam on a hitch mount we made and keys his 3x8 through it.
3200 feet elevation is a mountain? :D
soup bone
Donor
Donor

Post by soup bone »

the streets of texas are my battle feild,,,like he said from daylight to dark i battle for my rank as one, just to be herd so like they say when its time soup bone will key his battle station and say ,,,,,,,, GET IN LINE FOR SOME KEY UP TIME,,WORLD WIDE 305 THE BONE,,SOUP BONE,,,IM GONE AND ILL SEE YA :D :D
Phaze91460

Post by Phaze91460 »

crazytruker wrote:
J-570 wrote:
3200 feet elevation is a mountain? :D
When you live in CO, then probably not however if you lived FL then 1000 feet is a mountain. All a mater of perspective.

Post by 237 »

J-570 wrote: Around here anyway, every day is a key down from the time you get in your ride to the time you get out of it.

What part of PA are you in? I'm in the steel city copy?
J-570

Post by J-570 »

237 wrote:
J-570 wrote: Around here anyway, every day is a key down from the time you get in your ride to the time you get out of it.

East side... right on the Jersey border....it's loud over here... :lol:

Post by 237 »

J-570 wrote:
237 wrote:

East side... right on the Jersey border....it's loud over here... :lol:
It used to be over here too but not so much anymore. Less than ten years ago you needed at least a kw to talk across town. Now it's dead.

I'm on the floor..........i'll see ya!
Superdave
Donor
Donor

Post by Superdave »

It sure is. I get up that way every couple of months, and those guys are always going at it hard! I'll listen for you next time I pass through.
J-570

Post by J-570 »

Superdave wrote:It sure is. I get up that way every couple of months, and those guys are always going at it hard! I'll listen for you next time I pass through.
Just listen for that Whippit RDX #570, you'll hear me or one of my many brothers no doubt.
triple7wva

Post by triple7wva »

my 22 total pills running on 16volts get the job done in the eastern panhandle of wva for me....my main play spot is a 10 story parking garage that i park ontop of when i want to be king. but i can usualy lock it down just cruzin the streets....jas
Ninety Three Eleven

Post by Ninety Three Eleven »

My mobile is transportation that just happens to be able to do some skip shooting from time to time. While some have mobiles that are made primarily for shootouts, I am not that lucky but one day my time may come. A mobile for shootouts ONLY. What a country :lol:
Part Time
Donor
Donor

Post by Part Time »

triple7wva wrote:....my main play spot is a 10 story parking garage that i park ontop of when i want to be king.
This is always fun to do. I have fooled a few locals into thinking that I was running an amp, and another one thought that I must have got a new radio. My little Cobra 29 NW LTD with the 1969 final does better than one would think. :lol:
Rex_foxhound

Post by Rex_foxhound »

Height is might!
PYRO-736
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by PYRO-736 »

J-570 wrote:

Be a real man if you wanna battle and prove to be a man with a **Censored** setup then you better be a man with a **Censored** setup as in have the right size boxes and the right charging system to support those boxes to not rely on a mountain or even a hilltop to drop a maul on someone. GOT PILLS?........... 73'S
BIG R 184
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by BIG R 184 »

My suburban is my daily driver with 16 pills at 16 volts . There are no moutains or hills around here .If you need and advantage you go to lake ponchatrain an sit on the water and talk. I have my moutain in the back of my suburban. It is alot of fun doing battle with the locales around here there are alot of bad mobiles in the new orleans area. Fighting local is fun but i like it when the skip is rolling.
PYRO-736
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by PYRO-736 »

Skip is where its at BIG R I was never into talkin smack much locally and not into runnin the big box around town...no need to stroke the ego on 19 do it on the bowl(well hope to once I get the mobile 10-8 and straight)-- Do ok for now on my little 667v but cant wait to get the DAVEMADES goin. Even when I was runnin descent power down south in TX in '95 was never much of a battler just like to get out there and get my name called Take care BIG R and hope to catch you out there on the band in skipland.