Lincoln II and Lincoln II PLUS mic issues

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
davew41
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Lincoln II and Lincoln II PLUS mic issues

Post by davew41 »

Lincoln II and Lincoln II PLUS mic issues,
Now we know president makes a great mic for their radios, but these 2 models seem to have issues with most power mics, using a 4 to 6 pin adapter or wiring it for the 6 pin itself,
I and many others can get a palomar sl41 mic to work fine, a ranger sra 198 mic to work just fine,

but try to wire or use the 4 to 6 pin adapter for a astatic road devil, or a astatic 575 m-6 on the Lincoln ii and ii plus radios and they will switch channels on un key or even on transmission.
you key up on a channel and talk when you un key the radio you are on a different frequency ..

I have altered Joby @ president of this issue as early as last year and there are many people having this issue as well.
i even had one radio sent to mikes radio repair and he found the traces on the front of the board were smoked, and president ended up replacing my Lincoln ii plus.. even the stock mic would not key the radio after about a year of usage..

Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and if a fix was ever found because president does not seem to care, they will just replace the radios..

This is not an issue on any of their other 6 pin radios that use the same microphone wiring it is just effecting the Lincoln ii and plus
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

It sounds like there was some confusion in the 4 to 6 adapters, the RCI adapter won't work on a Uniden radio, that one will make the channels change when keyed, it is just the way it's wired. Personally I wire a microphone to the radio and skip the adapters, never cared for that oddball stuff hanging off the front of a radio. If or when I sell the radio, that mic always goes with it.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
davew41
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by davew41 »

Guess you never tried it. It is an issue direct or with adapter.
I'm not the only one running into this.
davew41
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by davew41 »

here is an image after I sent one to Mikes Radio repair this was Using the frequency lock on the radio so it did not change channels and talking for less then 1 week on the radio after a week or so the radio would not even key up and yes the proper adapter and even direct wiring was used..
The issue I have is the Lincoln is a great radio ( II and II PLUS) but people should not be tied to the STOCK mic on them..
President replaced my radio after seeing this and as of today when i talked to the Florida rep not much is going to change with this model on current production. sadly

davew41
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by davew41 »

pins tried on 575
1 white mod
2 black RX
3 red TX
4 NC
5 gnd/blue
6 NC
still changes channels on unkeying mic..
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

I looked at the schematic and they sure did make the stock microphone proprietary to the radio, the problem is the audio and switching ground.

3's

Greg

davew41
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by davew41 »

MDYoungblood wrote: April 8th, 2019, 5:37 pm I looked at the schematic and they sure did make the stock microphone proprietary to the radio, the problem is the audio and switching ground.

3's

Greg
Yup, it is a mess, I talked to President again today but unfortunately nothing is being done in the Lincoln and even a new production run has started..
so for my sideband needs it will be my kenwood or my strykers, as I an not going to be tied to a stock mic on any radio..

this issue is not showing up on the Andy, McKinley, bill fcc, Ronald, Richard I can run any mic on those radios,,( yes even my great 575 m-6)
as you can see in the image above those burnt traces.. definitely a design flaw they are ignoring.
davew41
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by davew41 »

MDYoungblood wrote: April 8th, 2019, 5:37 pm I looked at the schematic and they sure did make the stock microphone proprietary to the radio, the problem is the audio and switching ground.

3's

Greg
is there a way we can make or do a fix with an adapter or something in the radio that would be a simple fix??
i have 2 of these sitting here and am sick of using the stock mics..
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

I wish I had one to play with, then I could figure it out. The problem is it keys 5v on the PTT circuit for the electret mic element during transmit and to the up/down circuit on receive. Everyone says the adapter that comes with the 980SSB will work but it's completely different and that radio doesn't have a up/down circuit in the mic.

3's

Greg

davew41
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by davew41 »

exactly the adapter does not work as stated above neither does direct wiring, It is probably going to come down to adding a resistor somewhere in the radio on the mic jack.
I am not of course trying to get up down to work with aftermarket mic, just trying to get a astatic 575 to work without it changing channels on unkey and then over time burning up the internal radio traces..
I might just box up one and ship it to you to mess with... you cam pm me your address if you wish to because having 2 of those radios sitting here unable to use my regular 4 pin mic is just a waste to me
Blue Ox2
Donor
Donor

Post by Blue Ox2 »

I had a D-104 Silver Eagle wired to work on the President McKinley mobile.
It took a little effort but is working well now.

MDY, that place in DE you know about did it.

73 for now and best wishes for getting it straightened out,

Mike

How do you do from Blue Ox2
KPA223 on the Galaxy DX 2517
American Eagle SSB Group * AE1582
The World Radio Club * 2WR1582
Lititz, PA (2013 "Coolest Small Town in America")

davew41
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by davew41 »

Blue Ox2 wrote: April 10th, 2019, 9:03 am I had a D-104 Silver Eagle wired to work on the President McKinley mobile.
It took a little effort but is working well now.

MDY, that place in DE you know about did it.

73 for now and best wishes for getting it straightened out,

Mike
can you tell me the pinout? of the 6 pins im pretty sure 6 and 4 would be no connection can you remove the screws on the end and list your color codes?

Blue Ox2
Donor
Donor

Post by Blue Ox2 »

I'll check into it a little later on today.

Thanks,

Mike

How do you do from Blue Ox2
KPA223 on the Galaxy DX 2517
American Eagle SSB Group * AE1582
The World Radio Club * 2WR1582
Lititz, PA (2013 "Coolest Small Town in America")

MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

I talked to a local earlier who has a Lincoln II (not the plus), he is using a RF Limited 2018 on it, wired for a 4 pin Cobra and the 4 to 6 pin adapter for the Magnum radios. I looked up a Deltaforce (6pin mic) and the mic wiring is the same as the Lincoln II.

3's

Greg

davew41
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by davew41 »

yes this seems to be directly related to ASTATic that used shield and blue on the same pin ??
575 m6 and d104's
my sra 198 does not do this at all
I just made a brand new adapter and TORE pin 4 and 6 out of the 6 pin part
i electrical taped the heck out of the 4 pins inside the 6 pin part and we will test this over the next few hours
brubaker
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by brubaker »

I stumbled on this thread and wonder if anyone resolved it? I have a new Lincoln II+ and wired my D104 up....only to find the same issue as described. I dont want to mess the radio up, so I guess I'll go back to the stock mic until I can figure out what to do with it.
boilermaker1
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by boilermaker1 »

I Wired an M6B to the Lincoln II + and had no problems.
I just hooked up a Beringer XENYX 802 Mixer / EQ to it and had no problem Stock but when using my Texas Star Modulator Plus the Channels would change with the push button switch but not the foot pedal I put Ferits on it and twisted the audio and push to talk wires a few turns and it stopped.
I would think RF is the Colprit to the channel changing problem?
Mitch
Boilermaker
psychotron
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by psychotron »

I know I'm digging up an old post. I am having same issue. I wanted to share my thoughts on this channel change on TX issue / no tx sometimes when pressing the mic tx button. From looking at the schematic of mic and radio it looks to me the issue is actually with the way the channel change of the radio works in the microphone circuit of radio / the mic switch contacts. The radio identifies a channel down function based off resistor between the tx pin 3 and ground. If the resistance is at a certain level it will cause the channel down to activate. The problem i believe is that the contacts in the mic ptt switch sometimes are not able to be close enough to zero resistance when the ptt is pressed. The causes the radio to think you've pressed the channel down button. This would be why different mics seem to cause the channel change feature and some don't. Depending on how well the ptt switch grounds the ptt line pin 3. I believe this odd resistance also may cause confusion sometimes during TX and cause the radio to not tx when the ptt is pressed. I've been looking at the radio schematic and believe the only real fix would be to eliminate the channel change feature of the mic. I think R609 may be how to do so, maybe jumper it. But this is just a theory and not tested. Just my two cents, I could be wrong.