Antenna

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
gsh82962
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: Landlord
Antenna: Maco
Radio: Kenwood

Antenna

Post by gsh82962 »

Has anybody ran a Maco 5/8 ground plane above a three or four element beam flat side both being aluminum I want to know if there is reflection problems and how high the Maco needs to be above the beam
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Antenna

Post by MDYoungblood »

You wouldn’t be able to use the 4 ground plane elements as it would detune the beam. You might be able to use the vertical but it will take some trail and error tuning as the beam wouldn’t be in the proximity of where the ground plane was. I have seen op’s use an Antron or Solarcon above a horizontal beam.

3’s

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
The DB
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: The DB
Antenna: ¼λ Mobile Antenna.
Radio: Galaxy DX 55HP

Post by The DB »

MDYoungblood is right. It would be best to choose an antenna that doesn't come with or require radials. If you want to use radials, you would need to get them out of the near field of the yagi, which would require about two wavelengths (or 72 or so feet) or more.

On the other hand, if you have a vertical that doesn't have any radials, you can get away with a few feet. Four or five would be enough.

If you want to run that Maco without the radials, you will need to do some major tuning, the radials are a significant part of the matching circuit, and the existing circuit simply won't work as it does without them.

The DB
Eman
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: Eman

Post by Eman »

Just mount the Maco right on the mast coming up through the beam mounting plate and above the beam about the same 4" or so it would be above it's own radials. It will see the beam as a counterpoise / ground plane.
9RC69
Donor
Donor
Handle: Redeye
Call Sign: VE4GAG
Antenna: Sirio 827/Dipole
Radio: Cobra 148 GTL

Post by 9RC69 »

I have just set up my Sirio 4-element beam with a Sirio 827 5/8 wave vertical. I removed all radials except for two and bent them down slightly and attached them to the main boom with hose clamps. This gives the proper electrical characteristics and also gives extra support to the main boom of the beam. Both antennas tune perfectly.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Sounds like a good setup. I believe the 827 is capacitive tuned so it could be installed without the radials, the elements on the beam is a plus.

3’s

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department