Keying Mic changes TV channel

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
TxCav
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Handle: 2CavTrpr
Radio: Uniden 980SSB

Keying Mic changes TV channel

Post by TxCav »

Just what the subject says. I'm running a stock 980SSB with Terminator II antennas in a KW T680. Every time I key the Mic, my DirecTv changes channels. When its keyed for more than a couple seconds, the channels spin like they're on Wheel of Fortune. Everyone I've talked to over the radio says it sounds good and is crystal clear. Only issue is the channel changing of the tv. I've checked all pwr and coax connections, all are tight and corrosion-free.
What's my issue and how do I fix it? TIA
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Keying Mic changes TV channel

Post by MDYoungblood »

Well this is a new problem I've never ran across, I'm guessing the TV is fine, it is the Directv receiver that is the problem. To really get into this I'd need to know the receiver model and the satellite antenna brand and model, these are where the problem lies. My best guess is CMC, (Common Mode Current). First suggestion is to relocate the coaxes if are they are near each other. Grounding (bonding) always helps, add a ground wire from the case of the CB to a good metal surface close, short wires are important, I'd ground the satellite antenna's mount as well. I'll probably have more questions as we go along.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
TxCav
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by TxCav »

Howdy Greg,
The receiver is a HR24/200. The Sat dome is an EpicVue. I'm a company driver, all the equipment came with the truck with exception of cb and antennas. Reckon I'll start with bonding the cb to the truck chassis as that's the easiest. They sorta frown upon work being done on the truck by non-company mechanics! Lol Thanks for the direction!!
nosaj
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: nosaj
Radio: cobra 29 ltd

Post by nosaj »

If you suspect Common Mode Currents. Take your coax make 6 loops maybe 4inch diameter wrap some electrical tape to hold the form. You have just made a common mode current choke. See if that helps.

If not unhook the coax from the DTV box and see if keying the mic still wrecks havoc.
Also is your antenna inside or outside? Transmitting inside could wreck havoc on some RF recievers.
I've been told to keep my sdrs away from trasmitters.

nosaj
TxCav
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by TxCav »

Nosaj, all antennas are mounted outside. Terminator II's on the mirror arms and EpicVue on the back top left of the sleeper.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

TxCav wrote: August 7th, 2019, 4:05 pm Howdy Greg,
The receiver is a HR24/200. The Sat dome is an EpicVue. I'm a company driver, all the equipment came with the truck with exception of cb and antennas. Reckon I'll start with bonding the cb to the truck chassis as that's the easiest. They sorta frown upon work being done on the truck by non-company mechanics! Lol Thanks for the direction!!
Try some bonding first, make it look professional and the company would never know. The Directv receiver is one I had for years and never interfered with it so it might be the EpicVue antenna, you could try several (six is enough for CB frequency) ferrite snap beads on the coax.

3's

Greg

Bluerunner
Donor
Donor
Handle: BlueRunner
Antenna: Starduster
Radio: Cobra 142

Post by Bluerunner »

How is the power run to the CB and the radio receiver?
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Since we have never ran across this problem let us know how thinks went, all my suggestions would be experimental. Would like to keep this as a reference for future members.

3's

Greg

TxCav
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by TxCav »

Just a quick update. There's not enough coax to facilitate choke loops, I was able to put one loop in each length of coax...no change. I haven't been able to get ferrite beads yet, as I've been on the road but will try to locate some today. Thanks for all the suggestions.
TxCav
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by TxCav »

FIXED! The issue was grounding. The DirecTv is not grounded through the power cord. To fix, I grounded the DVR "case" to the truck chassis.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Great,, glad we could help. I would say 90% of all issues stems to grounding (bonding).

3's

Greg